Dilapidation Reports

Combine it with other services.

Residential and Commercial Properties.

Are you or your neighbours getting extensive renovations done to their house? Maybe council are starting a large project nearby? There may be significant earthworks or other construction work being done that could impact your home or others. You should get a dilapidation report done before the work starts.


Dilapidation Reports

Dilapidation reports examine the condition of a property before any neighbouring major construction begins. After the building work is complete a second inspection is done to compare the condition of the home to the previous inspection and record whether the construction has impacted the property in question.

Large earthworks and demolition can affect other buildings in close proximity through excavation, vibration, and the use of heavy machinery. If any damage is caused to your property, you may be able to make a claim against the parties responsible.

If you are getting any extensive renovation work done to your own house, it might pay to get a dilapidation report on any neighbouring properties. This can help out with any costly disputes if they arise and save you heartache with your neighbours or other parties.

In a dilapidation report the areas inspected can include –

  • The interior and exterior of neighbouring houses
  • Fences
  • Retaining walls
  • Driveways, paths, paving, etc
  • Yards, trees and gardens
  • Footpaths
  • Outhouses/sheds
  • Any other relevant areas that could be impacted by the works



Do I need dilapidation reports?

Whether or not these reports are required will depend on where your property is located in relation to other buildings, the type of work you are doing and what the authorities in your area require. Even if they are not required by law for the construction you’re planning, dilapidation reports are beneficial by helping protect you against litigation if neighbours claim that your earthworks or demolition work has damaged their homes.

If you need more information about whether dilapidation reports are necessary, contact Clearcut Building Inspections or QBCC.


Book your Dilapidation Report in Brisbane.